Photograph: Werner Schmidt

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Spring Is Here!

We had spring weather in Connecticut today – lovely. We have had a tough winter, so it’s not one day too early, I think. And with the beginning of spring just around the corner, I took the opportunity to try out a new shirt that arrived from one of the shops in Jermyn Street, put on tan trousers to go with my navy blazer. I thought that was appropriate as I was going to a ‘rowing’ meeting this morning.

Above you see an image from a famous annual rowing regatta in America: the boat race between Yale and Harvard on the Thames River in New London. The ‘H’ flag on the right and the ‘Y’ flag on the left give away the location of the race. I guess the picture is from the 1930s or 1940s, but I am not entirely sure.

Of course, it is not really the boat race in itself that is shown in this picture, it is the gentleman, the spectator, and how he is dressed that is the important thing. It is probably June, so he is wearing a tan double-breasted jacket, a light-coloured shirt, red tie and a matching ‘pocket-square’. His trousers are white, or maybe off-white, and white shoes. To protect his head from the sun, he is wearing a brown hat with a wide brim and ribbon (a little too large for my taste).

It is not very likely that you will see anyone dressed like this at the boat race this year, which is on Saturday the 28 May.

No comments:

Post a Comment