Photograph: Werner Schmidt

Saturday, March 6, 2010

Where Thames Smooth Water Glide

Regular readers of this blog know that I am not solely responsible for everything that is posted on these pages. You readers come with interesting ideas and angles to questions raised in different entries. Recent days’ contributions from Tim Koch and Malcolm Cook about Stanley Garton’s letter to ‘Gladder’ show that. I am very grateful for all contributions from the ‘outside’, because, as most of you probably already have figured out by now, this blog is not about me (although, I sometimes take myself as a starting point and then elaborate from there), it is about the rich history of rowing.

Earlier today I received a very short (but powerful, I realised later) e-mail from John Eade of England (see photograph of him on the Thames with Marlow Church in the background). He sent some very interesting links to his website Where Thames Smooth Water Glide. Reading here and there, I was extremely impressed with all the information on these sites and the different links that took you further and deeper into a special niche. The different sites were about: Oxford Rowing, Henley Royal Regatta, The Boat Race, and Doggett’s Coat and Badge Race.

To take a look at these sites, please click on the links below the illustrations. My warmest thanks to John Eade for sending these links and allowing me to post them here.






No comments:

Post a Comment