Photograph: Werner Schmidt

Saturday, November 20, 2010

Another Homer Rowing Image

Well, dear ‘old’ Bill is at it again. Barely had I prepared the previous entry about his Winslow Homer find, and Bill finds another rowing image by Homer. Bill writes, “Running a word search in Google, I discovered another Homer rowing picture, with two men in what looks like a racing shell. Hard to tell, it could be a canoe rigged with oars, but it looks like a pair to me. Of course, everything looks like a pair and I had a pleasant pull in one on the Potomac yesterday morning amid fall colors.”

This ‘new’ Homer rowing picture is called Two Men Rowing on a Lake, a watercolour from 1892. It was for sale at Christie’s, click here to read more about it.

1 comment:

  1. Very interesting! I'd no idea that Homer had illustrated rowing (Eakins being the only American painter of that period that is ever mentioned in regards to the sport). Thanks!

    ReplyDelete