Photograph: Werner Schmidt

Saturday, May 1, 2010

First American Woman To Row Across The Pond

Here in the south-east corner of Connecticut is a special book project called ‘One Book, One Region’. This is, as their web site says, “a project that encourages residents of eastern Connecticut to read the same book during the spring and summer months and then to come together to discuss what they've read.”

I have to confess that after, long ago, finishing up my university studies in literature and culture science, I decided that I was never going to read something that someone else told me to read, unless I really wanted to. However, I might read this year’s pick A Pearl in the Storm: How I Found My Heart in the Middle of the Ocean by Tori Murden McClure, who was the first American woman to solo row across the Atlantic, in 1998.

The other day it was announced that Tori Murden McClure will give a talk on Sunday 16 May, 5:00 p.m., at Mystic Arts Center on 9 Water Street in Mystic, Connecticut. Of course, she will also sign her book. This is organized by the local bookstore, Bank Square Books.

No comments:

Post a Comment