Photograph: Werner Schmidt

Sunday, April 25, 2010

Home Again...

At last, we are home in Connecticut again after a two-week visit to Sweden. It was supposed to have been only an eight-day stay, but ash clouds from the volcano Eyjafjallajökull in Iceland closed most airports in Europe. To be honest, I am not complaining as we stayed at my mother’s place in Malmö, in the south of Sweden, so we did not have to camp-out at an airport or sit in an over-crowded bus for two, three days to go to an open airport, or any other horror story that there are plenty of in the wake of Eyjafjallajökull erupting. Not even when our flight from Copenhagen to Boston was changed to go via Glasgow airport, instead of via Keflavik airport in Iceland, did I get disturbed. Instead, I saw it as a great opportunity to get some of those British magazines that are hard to find here in the U.S. Well, although the news agency at Glasgow airport had a ton of magazines, they did not, for example, have Literary Review which I was looking for, and the ladies working there had not even heard of it.

There was also one disappointment in Malmö: the doors at my local rowing club remained closed during my visit. My mother’s flat is only a couple of blocks away from the canal where the boat house is located, so I had the opportunity to pass the house several times. At one time it was open, so I could at least go in to get a whiff of the boat house, but there was no activity, maybe due to the chilly weather, who knows?

No comments:

Post a Comment